Monday, August 15, 2011

Falafels :: Guest Post by Lindsay of PCV

.


Food : FALAFEL  ||  Brought to you by Lindsay of PCV (Pussycat Vintage)
*recipe adapted from the Moro Cookbook


Hello, there! This is Lindsay from Pussycat Vintage. Nicole and I are so excited about our new collaboration with Adalou! Check out Sandi's awesome new feature on our blog. For those of you who don't know me, I am the food obsessed mama of PCV. I spend a lot of time and energy finding and creating recipes that work for my family. I hope you enjoy this one!
♥ Lindsay

I decided to try my hand at making a fa-waffle (a falafel made in a waffle iron instead of deep fried). I started with a recipe from the Moro Cookbook and adapted it to be a bit easier to work with. The result was delicious and much different than mealy box mixes we are all accustomed to. I served ours waffle style with toppings, but you could also put it in a flat bread.

Ingredients :::: 

250 grams dried chickpeas (about 8.5 oz)- soak them overnight
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 large bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
1 medium bunch flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 onion, grated
50 grams flour ( about 6 1/4 tablespoons)
1 egg
1/4 baking soda
salt and pepper to taste

Drain the beans and put half of them in a pot. Fill with fresh, cold water and bring them to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for five to ten minutes, until tender. Skim the top of any impurities.

Next, put the raw beans in a food processor ( I used a blender) until smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl.


Repeat with the cooked beans. Add the garlic, fresh coriander, parsley, cumin, ground coriander, onion, flour, egg and baking soda. Mix well.

Heat your waffle iron and brush with olive oil. Spread mixture evenly over the surface of the iron with an off-set spatula. Cook according to manufacturer's instructions.

*This is a really great recipe. I added a bit more flour and dialed back the herbs to make it more kid friendly. It is easily adaptable to your preferences.

Toppings ::::

I made a simple yogurt sauce (think tzatziki without the dill) and salt marinated heirloom tomatoes. After eating this, my husband and I both agreed that feta and pickled peppers would have been a great addition, although not necessary.


Salt marinated tomatoes are great on and in just about everything. And they couldn't be any easier. Just slice or chop tomatoes, put in a bowl, and generously salt. Set aside for an hour, or until ready to use.


Yogurt Sauce

Ingredients ::::

1 container greek yogurt
juice and zest from 1 lemon
handful of parsley, chopped
1 clove of garlic
1 small hot house cucumber, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Mix yogurt, lemon juice and zest, parsley, garlic, cucumber together. Season to taste.

Assemble and enjoy!!!

** Note from Sandi

So doesn't this look AMAZING!!! Thanks you so much Lindsay for the awesome post!!! Also, I'm super excited to be partnering up with these lovely ladies over at PVC (Pussycat Vintage Blog + Shop) for a ABC's collection series too! Enjoy and Happy Monday! xo :) s

4 comments:

  1. i blooming love falafel!. i shall def try this later in the week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes! this looks insanely good. I'm gonna try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am definitely making these!!! they look soooo good - hmm i don't have a waffle iron though? any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kellie, they are traditionally rolled into balls and fried. You can always go that route :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave me a comment, I so appreciate it. Please be oh so sweet while commenting, as rude messages will be removed upon moderation. Thank you kindly, xo :) s

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...