Thursday, September 29, 2011

Biscuits & Apple Butter with Lindsay

.

Hey guys! It's Lindsay from Pussycat Vintage. I am so excited to be guest blogging again over here at Adalou!! I wanted to share my quick biscuit recipe, as well as a delicious apple butter that is perfect for Fall. I hope you enjoy!!

Quick Biscuits
2 cups AP flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
1 cup of milk

  • Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
  • Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together in bowl.
  • Whisk together. Using a pastry blender, or your fingers, mix shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal. Add milk gradually until a sticky dough forms. Pour loose dough onto a heavily floured surface and knead gently, but firmly, until the dough is smooth (about ten to fifteen times).
  • Flour a rolling pin and roll out the dough. The dough should be about the thickness of your thumb. Use a round cutter and cut out biscuits, taking care not to twist as you cut. I prefer not to reuse scraps, but you could push the scraps together once to make more biscuits.
  • Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for ten to fifteen minutes. The edges and tops should be golden brown.

Apple Butter

2 pounds baking apples
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup of water
brown sugar ( I used about 1/4 cup of sugar per cup of puree)
pinch of kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon of cloves
juice and zest of one small lemon


  • Cut apples into quarters (cores removed) and place in a saucepan. Cover with the water and cider vinegar. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until the apples are very soft, about thirty minutes. Use a food mill or fine mesh sieve to strain the puree.
  • Place the puree back into a saucepan and add sugar to taste, salt, spices, and lemon juice and zest. Cook over low heat until the mixture is thick and reduced. This could take up to an hour. You can use it immediately, or store in an airtight container. I imagine this will keep for at least a week in the fridge, however this theory has never been tested at my house.

Check out more recipes over at PCV!




- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Oh Yum! Thank you so much Lindsay for sharing these, they look fabulous!
I'm also sharing a post on PCV today. Jump on over to see my Vintage ABC's
Happy Thursday! xo :) s

4 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm definitely going to have to make this some beautiful Saturday morning. Maybe surprise my mister with breakfast in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so yummy!!! What kind of a food mill do you use? I looked for one at Target and they had none!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fuzzymama I am not sure, ours was thrifted. Have you tried a thrift store?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made apple butter in a slow cooker with no liquid. I pre-cooked the cored, sliced unpeeled apples in the micro-wave before they went into the slow cooker. Rather than using a food mill, I used an immersion blender to finish it off. Have a look at my blog www.carolegbert.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave me a comment, I so appreciate it. Please be oh so sweet while commenting, as rude messages will be removed upon moderation. Thank you kindly, xo :) s

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...