Wednesday, November 16, 2011

what i wore : the altered moo moo

.

I'm short, and I always (like 90% of the time) have to alter my clothes. Petite jeans are not really petite on me, I usually hack off and additional 4 inches. So I've started buying garments which I like but may be a bit larger, and trying to alter them into something cuter. I mean, why not take to the sewing machine and turn an oversized moo-moo into a cute everyday dress, right? When I was at the thrift I spotted this dress and loved the patterning. It's kinda hawaiian looking, the mister said Halloween and was confused by my purchase but either way, the top neckline was so cute but the rest needed some help. The breast area down was all altered and taken in over 10+ inches. Most alterations are done by eye, though I do have Lucy (my vintage dress form // thanks to momo) if I need her. So whatta think, should I have left it as a moo-moo? Nahhhh! I'm much happier with the new end result, and the mister even complemented it too.
signature
Do you alter your clothing?


WARDROBE ATTIRE
Dress // Thrifted + Altered
Belt // Thrifted
TIghts // Target
Shoes // Gifted Pussycat Vintage

21 comments:

  1. It looks very lovely now!

    what are you going to do with all the extra fabric?

    Hannah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks @made by my rabbiti'm not to sure yet, right now it's sitting along side the other fabric, why would you want some?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cute!!! I have things in the basket just waiting to be altered...but I'm kind of scared to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @MissShapes as long as you have some patients and a seam ripper you should totally try, you may be pleasantly surprised :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love it when people alter an ordinary or even a really weird piece of clothes into a brand new and pretty chic piece! It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so adorable and turned out great! Great job. I need to learn how to alter clothing. However, I need a sewing machine first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it turned out so cute and i love the pattern! i alter clothes all the time and LOVE doing it!
    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  8. holy moly that is hilarious! you've got some sewing magic there! turned out so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome! I altered a house dress I got over the summer, in to a skirt :) It's so cute now, and I wear it all the time! :D
    -charlotte <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I want to learn how to alter my clothes better. I need to find some cheap scrap fabric to learn on though, so I don't accidentally ruin my clothing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear ya!! I have the same problem of being crazy short and other that hems I haven't ventured into altering many clothes. This has inspired me! That dress is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. such a cute pattern & amazing transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! You are so talented Sandi!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow thanks all for the lovely comments, i love hearing i'm not the only one altering clothing and for those of you curious to try, give it a go and i'd love to see your end results too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks great! I am Queen of the Easy Hem (aka, just choppin' off long dresses to the right length! haha). I think the fabric is terridic and belted it looks really cute.

    WHEN DID YOU DYE YOUR HAIR? how did i miss that??

    ReplyDelete
  16. thanks alix :) I colored it about 2 months ago, just retouched it cause it was fading few nights ago, still turq in color though. i'll have to update you all with a photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute, love it! Buuut I don't see what was wrong with the original moo-moo...hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi! I just found your blog through the links on another blog, and I am enjoying reading. When I saw this post, I had to write! A few weeks ago I did a post on "how to shrink a dress", although my method is much less finished than yours (basically cut, move some buttons, wrap and belt).

    Here it is:

    http://bloggingcornerblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/what-i-famolares-and-how-to-shrink-big.html

    I'm going to go poke around your blog some more now......

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love some! :) though, years later, I doubt you still have it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave me a comment, I so appreciate it. Please be oh so sweet while commenting, as rude messages will be removed upon moderation. Thank you kindly, xo :) s

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...