Thursday, December 08, 2011

Where I work...

.
altered photo / original image HERE  // grabbed this photo cause mine looked horrible

  This is a bit of a PHOTO HEAVY POST  

I've recently had a few people ask me "where do you work?" For some reason I've always wanted to keep this private, something with me not wanting to disclose what my day job entitles, about keeping a bit of my secret life to myself and close friends, but honestly, my day job is actually a magical place so I guess I should share a bit more of what I do. Though it's not Disney World, which is very magical in my opinion (we use to live in FL and I loved that place), it's still tops right up there as being a highly sought after amazing company! It's not just me, as there are tons of talented and creative people by my side, thus including designers, illustrators, hand calligraphers, photographers, writers... the list goes on and on. We all work together though, under one roof (ok more like one HUGE block of buildings) to bring the world a bit happiness and help you express what you may be feeling on any given day. Well what do I do you may be wondering, I work doodle my days away over at the Hallmark Cards Headquarters, located in lovely Kansas City. So there you have it, I'm a greeting card artist. Did ya guess that? Probably not. My background is a degree in illustration and a strong focus on design which has lent me to be fortunate enough to have a few spectacular job careers along the way. Previous I designing children's clothing for Carters in Atlanta, if you have young kiddos they may have even worn something I created. But back to Hallmark... where I've been working for over a handful of years and I really, truly, love what I do. I can honestly say it's great to be able to do what you love. It makes getting up and ready for work that much more enjoyable... other than the fact I'm not a morning person, so getting up in general is rougher than easier. But I wanted to share a few snapshots around my work and I apologize in advance for this being a bit photo heavy and not showing you everything my day entitles due to privacy issues beyond my control, but I hope you'll still enjoy a peek around my job!

aerial view, top (ninth floor). the courtyards bare as new trees will be planted this spring.
stairs down to my desk and this fountain is like a bubbling stream, and about 50'+ long.
at my desk. my wacom pen. another picture of my desk HERE excuse the mess though.
I love that it's currently decorated around the building for the holidays.
I keep my skates in my desk drawer all year long waiting for winter... this will make sense in a sec...
our fabulous library has one side for magazines...
...and another huge side for books. you can see a few more images HERE
Alphonse Mucha (Czechoslovakia, 1860 - 1939) Gismonda, 1894. Lithograph.

the artwork acquired here is unreal. Hallmark owns a lot of original paintings and prints, this Mucha piece is amazing! one of my favs and it's just happens to be hanging out on one of the floors when you come off an elevator.
my ice skates... so there is a skating rink outside. awesome, right! seen on top, second photo down, right side, white tent looking thingy. and the mayors tree, which the major has his own special ornament by hallmark from tree's prior. this tree is lit on thanksgiving night and on display for the public to enjoy. after it's taken down, it's wood will be salvaged into lumber for next years ornaments made for the mayor to hand out.
Some of my card designs, which this is a small offering of what I've done, over 350+ cards to date, you're only seeing a handful. I love that plush monster I got to sew (up top) and I think you can still find him in Hallmark stores with in the teen cards.
And there's the majors tree all lit up while I'm driving home last night. Isn't it so pretty?

Hope you enjoyed the pictures. Plus this mornings What I Wore post was taken outside in one of our work courtyards. I obviously can't explain every detail of what I do cause some stuff is private, but if you have any questions feel free to leave me a comment and I'll try my best to answer them. Happy Thursday!
signature

21 comments:

  1. Love seeing more of where you work! I'm so jealous you have a skating rink!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome! Love getting to see your work. It looks like a magical place, and you get to be in such awesome surroundings!
    I will think of you every time I see a hallmark card now. Now I am tempted to go to the store and see if I can find any of the cards you designed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lucky lady you are! I am truly envious of your great job! And I'm really impressed with all of your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What the...that's one of those jobs that you know somebody does but have never heard of anybody actually doing that job, you know? Kind of like the other day I came across a job posting for somebody to count all the money that people deposit into ATMs. That's right, there's a person who does that.

    Anyway that is super cool! It looks like a very nice work environment too, like, professional but cool at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really cool! Thanks so much for sharing this peek into your daily life. It definitely looks like a fun and beautiful place to work. I bet I could spend hours and hours in that library!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the coolest job ever! Thanks for a peek into your daily life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what an amazing job you have!! you are so lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks all :) it's actually an amazing job and if any of you ever travel to kansas city let me know. i've be happy to give tours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, amazing place to work! I would love any tips that you have for illustrators! I'm a design student and one dream I have is to illustrate children's book and maybe even greeting cards =]

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definitely have a cool job! It is great to get a bigger glimpse into your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved this post! Thank you for letting us see a workday in the life of Sandi. It's seriously really nice to get to know you more and more. Also, I'm seriously jealous of the ice rink. You're really lucky! What a great mid day break, to take a skate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. anna - i'm excited to get out and skate this year, i'll surely take some photos for you :)

    hanner - email me when you have time and let's chat about illustration :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my god awesome! as soon as you said you worked there, it all made sense. you have such talent for design...it's very fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cool! I love learning more about you and sounds like you have a pretty neat job :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love your post. i hadnt realized that it was not known , what you do and where you work. its funny, with family, you just assume. anyway, i am always looking for ANYTHING i can get my hands on that i know you have designed. your mom keeps showing me things too...you are an amazing artist sweet cousin of mine! i am very proud of you!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is ridiculously cool! I'm so glad you shared it with us. I'm going to think of you whenever I look at Hallmark cards. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is cool! and i love the postcards you designed, the plush monster is the best!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave me a comment, I so appreciate it. Please be oh so sweet while commenting, as rude messages will be removed upon moderation. Thank you kindly, xo :) s

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...