Thursday, October 25, 2012

ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS : SUGAR & SPICE

.
We have always loved Pumpkin carving but a few years back I started getting really annoyed with the idea of it all. What it came down to was I felt bad for the pumpkins. I mean, someone grows the pumpkin (and we've tried to grow our own and it's pretty darn hard), but then you go to a pumpkin patch (or a store) and buy a pumpkin, take it home and cut it to bits, put a candle in it for a few nights and then the squirrels destroy them or they get gross n' slimy on you steps so you throw it away. Oh that poor pumpkin, what a life and how wasteful it was. For the past few years we decided to start using the pumpkin as a whole instead of our prior history of trashing what we thought we had no use for… and ya know what? We found in return we LOVE pumpkin seeds! We have a few recipes we've been experimenting with to get to our liking and because I'm a sweet tooth kinda girl the one below is one of my favorites. But I'll share the mister favorite (a salty recipe) soon. Enjoy!
signature_blog2
ROASTED PUMPKIN SEEDS : SUGAR & SPICE
Approx. 1 Hour

Ingredients (Adjust ingredients as needed depending on cups of seeds)
1 cup of seeds 
1 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 tsp brown sugar (+ / - to taste) 
1/2 - 1 tsp cinnamon 
1/4 tsp nutmeg 
1/8 all spice

Directions
Rinse and remove pulp. Lightly dry. Toss ingredients together in medium sized bowl. Spread a thin layer on a cookie sheet and bake for 45 minutes on 300 degrees, turning (I turn mine every 10 minutes till they're done) frequently. Enjoy!
signature_blog2

4 comments:

  1. That sounds so delicious! We might have to give this recipe a go this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my first questions about pumpkin carving during my US visit was "what do you do with the pumpkin innards?" and roasted pumpkin seeds are such a delicious snack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm, i love making pumpkin seeds! i've never had them with sugar and spice though. will have to try! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some in the oven right now!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave me a comment, I so appreciate it. Please be oh so sweet while commenting, as rude messages will be removed upon moderation. Thank you kindly, xo :) s

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...